Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Super Healthy Chipotle Citrus Black Bean Burritos


I made a batch of chipotle-citrus black beans today (dried beans cooked with a by leaf, then mixed with a mixture of 2 onions, 5 cloves garlic, 1 tbsp cumin, 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp oregano, juice of 2 limes and 1 orange and 2 cups of cilantro).  I turned some of the beans into my 3 Ingredient Veggie burgers, and used 2 cups of as the filing for these awesome burritos.




I used Low Carb, High Fiber Sante Fe 100% Whole Grain Tortillas, placed 1 cup of baby spinach, 1/2 cup of the beans and 1 tbsp feta cheese. Rolled them up, then warmed them in a pan, turning them on all sides until they were golden brown,  I topped them with 1/4 an avocado each and some salsa. 


Super delicious!I had some leftover Kale Salad from yesterday morning. (I thought I could eat it all for breakfast, but I couldn't.) The salad and burrito was an awesome lunch and very filling, while fairly low in calories and high in nutrition.  Per burrito: 


Calories 386
Fat 14 grams
Carbs: 59 grams
Protein 23 grams
Fiber 27 grams
Calcium 25%
Iron 38%


Go make some! 

3 comments:

  1. beautiful!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

    would love for you to join me here, if you're interested!

    http://myknowledgegenie.com/healthyhabits2014

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melody, I am going to try not to be too lengthy. I love what you do. For health and well being reasons, my family and I have tried to eat vegan many times and have always had extreme difficulty. Partially due to the cost of foods that are good for you, partially due to time restraints (both my husband and I work full time and I also go to school full time oh and we have a 2 year old as well). A big part of the reason is the lack of health food stores in the area. We live in a city where there isn't much beyond chain grocery stores. The closest health food store to us doesn't have a lot (it's like a closet) and the next closest one is a whole foods about 45 minutes away. Your site gives me hope that we might be able to try again and be successful. I was wondering if you had a sort of "starting out" grocery list. Things that maybe appear in many of your recipes. After reading through a few of your recipes it seems many ingredients will be easy to get, such as beans and veggies, but some more obscure things I might have a harder time finding. Making more than a trip or 2 to Whole Foods a month just doesn't fit into our current schedule. But for starters, I would love a kind of starter list if you wouldn't mind. Thanks so much for all of your effort to help others out and for the inspiration that perhaps I can finally provide the kind of meals for my family that I have wanted to my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough, I was already planning bean burritos for breakfast next week!

    ReplyDelete