Friday, January 10, 2014

Dill Pickle Roasted Chickpeas


We buy #10 cans of chickpeas at Costco to have on hand, and this morning I opened one.  Now, I normally cook my own chickpeas from scratch, but sometimes, it's nice to open a can and just go to town cooking without having to dirty up my pressure cooker.

The #10 can can has around 16 cups of cooked chickpeas, so you can bet that I've been using them in various recipes.  I made hummus, created a new 4 Ingredient Burger which I will share later.


The Boyfriend came home with some of the best store bought pickles the other day, and I knew immediately I would be re-using the brine.  (Daikon Pickle anyone?) 

I decided to roast the chickpeas in pickle brine. Yum! 


Dill Pickle Roasted Chickpeas: 
Pre-heat oven to 400
  • 4 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1 1/4 cups pickle brine
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 tbsp fresh dill
  • Pepper to taste

Method:
  1. In a large skillet, add the chickpeas, brine and vinegar.  Bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Drain and reserve liquid for another use.  
  2. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and arrange chickpeas in a single layer (I used 2 sheets so they had a lot of room between them to crisp up)
  3. Bake for 45 minutes, shaking halfway through and rotating pans.
  4. Stir in fresh dill and pepper 

2 comments: