Monday, December 30, 2013

Carrot Soup with Candied Clementine Pecans and Croutons.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday.
We had quite the holiday excursion, going to New Jersey and Vermont and squeezing in 5 Xmas's over several days...

I was at The Boyfriend's parents house and got the urge to cook.  It had been several days and I get antsy.  We usually bring a cooler filled with food so I can eat my savory breakfasts and have what I want on hand without putting people out.  It's a win win situation, since his family understands and is fine with me bringing food.

I grabbed a pound of carrots and put it in the cooler (because the day before I left, I scored 5 lbs of organic carrots for $3.99!).. I thought I would munch on them, but I was feeling super antsy and NEEDED to cook, so I made a quick soup with what we had on hand.

Now, I have to give credit where credit is due.  A couple weeks ago, we went to our friend, Andrea's house for dinner.  (She is actually They Boyfriend's X GF... I love that he is still friends with his X's...  and she has become my friend.. )...  she made us this AMAZING dinner and served a Spicy Carrot soup with it.  The soup was infused with curry spices, candied orange peel and toasted almonds.   Super yummy.  She also made a spinach artichoke dip with homemade almond crackers and some sauteed greens with cranberries and almonds.  Everything was soooo delicious!  Better than most restaurant meals I've had.... but I digress....

So. this carrot soup was inspired by that meal.  I used what his mom had on hand... along with my carrots.  I am not a huge fan of pureed soups, but seem to make an exception for carrot and sweet potato based soups.

No recipes here, but I wanted to give the method, since that is more my cooking style.  I caramelized onion and garlic in some olive oil... along with sage, thyme, rosemary and lots of salt and pepper.  I added some apple cider, potatoes, water and lots of carrots, clementine juice and zest and a bit of cream at the end.. oh, and lots of white pepper, a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon.

I candied pecans with fresh clementine juice, brown sugar and salt and baked some sourdough croutons.  Savory, sweet, orange pecan goodness.

The Boyfriend got me a Kindle Fire and I took the above pic with it.  I think I'm in love with it!  Who knows, maybe it will replace my big camera?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this looks great!! Glad you had such a fun Christmas!

    ReplyDelete