Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Red Chile Sauce


My friend April and I were talking hot sauce yesterday.  She loves spicy food like I do and asked me if I had any new hot sauce recipes.  She is a big fan of my Habanero Sauce , so I know she likes it spicy! She asked if I had made a sauce similar to what they serve at corner taco stands.  In the Boston area, there aren't very many taco stands like there are where she lives, but I think I know the type of sauce she is talking about and decided to give it a whirl.  Now, I am using Onion Soup Mix in this recipe, I am doing it for a reason and I don't recommend substituting it.  If that is not you're thing, then this isn't the recipe for you.  I wanted a specific taste that the soup gives.

I used a mixture of Pasilla, Ancho, California and Chipotle Chilies.  


  • 2 oz. dried chilies, stems removed
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 package onion soup mix
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/16 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp toasted cumin seeds
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 3 cups canned tomato
  • 5 big cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup cilantro

Method:

  1. Toast the chilies over medium heat in a large skillet for 3-5 minutes.
  2. Add the water, soup mix,spices. and coconut oil.
  3. Cover and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes, then add the tomatoes and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
  4. Transfer mixture to a blender; add the vinegar and cilantro and blend until combined. 



Taste ..  you have to make sure it's yummy!


I can tell this sauce needs to chill overnight so the flavors can really get to know each other, but it's pretty darn good now!  The Boyfriend has requested Enchiladas...  so I will be making them for dinner.

Here are links to some of my other Hot Sauces:

No comments:

Post a Comment