Sunday, August 18, 2013

Creative Recycling: Fusion Falafels


I LOVE leftovers!  In fact, some of my best creations ever were born from mixing this or that together and watching how everything magically transforms into something new.  The great thing about leftovers, at least in my kitchen, is that each ingredient is already packed with flavor, so when you combine them, the food has that "cooked all day" taste.  

I don't have an exact recipe for this; in fact, the only reason I ever write recipes, is so YOU can use them.  This is more of a method and I encourage you to experiment! Also, don't put your food in a box of this or that flavor should only go with this or that ingredient.  What you see above came together beautifully and to me, represents fusion flavors at their best! 



I had some leftover Ayeb-Begomen that I froze.  I originally intended to defrosting it and making an Ethiopian "Spanikopita" which I wanted to serve with my Tomato-Onion Chutney.


... but I failed to take into account the amount of liquid the cheese would release while it was thawing and I was worried about the phyllo dough becoming a soggy mess, so I figured I would turn it into something similar to my Baked Falafel



I had around 3 cups of the Ayeb Begomen left.  I pre-heated the oven to 400 and mixed around 1 1/2 cups of chickpea flour along with some of my Ethiopian Spice Mixture and maybe around 1/2 cup of rolled oats.  



I sprayed a cookie sheet with cooking spray and used a small ice cream scoop to portion the balls.

They are quite magnificent!

I baked them for around 45 minutes, turning them over halfway.  While they were baking, I used more leftovers.  I had some Very Lowfat Southwestern Sauce in the fridge.  See, this is what I mean about not being afraid to mix flavors.  I added a bit of Greek Yogurt and some Tahini , along with some lemon juice and a clove of garlic.  I cooked up a quick Chickpea Flatbread for The Boyfriend and chopped up daikon, and cucumber. 

The results: AWESOME! 


The Boyfriends' Lunch

My Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment