Friday, July 05, 2013

Healthy and Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free 'Enchiladas' made from leftovers



I love using collard greens as many of you know, and these really really hit the spot when I was craving enchiladas.

To create this dish, I blanched collard greens by bringing several inches of salted water to a boil in a 12 inch skillet.  I placed several collard leaves in at a time for around 15 seconds, then put them on a plate to cool until I was ready to use them.  You don't need to shock them, even though that goes against the traditional blanching method.  I'm all about shortcuts when I can use them and it works here!

Next, when the leaves were cool, I filled them with around 3 tbsp of Mexi Base and 1 tbsp cooked millet and 1 tbsp chipotle spiced nut cheese and rolled them up. I places a small amout of Salsa Verde on the bottom of a baking pan, placed the "enchiladas" in the pan and topped it with more of the Salsa Verde and chopped green olives and baked for 30 minutes at 350.

If you are new to using collard greens in place of tortillas, blanching them is a great way to cut the bitter flavor and improve the texture.  I hope you give this a try!

Here's a sneak peak of a salad that has inspired my dinner tonight.  I was on the road with my mom, and we stopped at Trader Joes.  It was around lunch time and I spied this Raw Kale - Edamame Salad.  It came with a lemon - herb dressing (non vegan).. I was thrilled to get 16 grams of protein and around 3 cups or raw kale, but the dressing was a HUGE disappointment... first of all, I believe that if you are offering a vegetarian option and it's possible, why not go all the way and offer a vegan option?  I have decided to re-create this salad with a tahini-lemon based dressing...  maybe even my Low Fat Goddess Dressing..  stay tuned tomorrow for my interpretation.



1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love the collard as the wrap!!
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete