Saturday, July 13, 2013

Carrot Love & Spiced Carrot Salad


I don't think carrots get the love they deserve. I made this awesome salad the other day, based on a side dish The Boyfriend had while we were staying in Delaware for his business trip. We had a meal at Home Grown Cafe in Newark, DE, which we both enjoyed. For the life of me, I couldn't remember the seasonings or how his carrots tasted, but we both loved them and it inspired me to create this simple salad.  I blanched the carrots, so they would keep their beautiful color.

To blanch carrots, bring salted water to a boil, add the carrots. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then drain and place the carrots in ice water to stop the cooking process.

Spiced Carrot Salad

  • 1 lb carrots, cut into circles and blanched. This will be around 4 cups
  • 1/4 cup minced red onion
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn 
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Dressing:




Blend the dressing ingredients in a blender, then pour over carrot/onion/herb mixture
Let the salad sit for at least an hour before serving.

This salad literally gets better the longer is sits. Several days later, I used the last cup of it in this awesome veggie/tofu stir fry.

Here are links to some more awesome carrot recipes:









What are your favorite ways to enjoy carrots?

No comments:

Post a Comment