Monday, June 03, 2013

Gluten Free Pizza and homemade chickpea flour/brown rice baking mix


I'm a huge fan of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Mix, but I wanted to cut calories a bit and see if I could come up with a whole food version of my own.  I apologize to those of you who don't have a Vita Mix or high powered blender.  It will be difficult to make a big batch of flour , but you can still make this if you have a decent coffee grinder to grind the brown rice.  I did not grind my own chickpea flour, instead I bought Besan at the local Indian Grocer. 


Speaking of Besan, have you made my Chickpea Flatbreads?  They are super simple, nutritious and a fast to make.


I digress...  as I said before, I love Bob's GF mix and actually have simple Gluten Free Crust Recipe I make from it..







OK, back to this recipe.  I originally thought I would be calling this my "High Fiber, High Protein Gluten Free Baking Mix", but upon plugging in the nutritional information I was shocked to find plain, whole wheat flour had a higher amount of protein and fiber oz per oz, so if you are not sensitive to gluten whole wheat flour is pretty darn nutritious! 

I did manage to reduce the calories by 100  per cup and the carbs by 30 grams per cup compared to whole wheat flour, so that's pretty impressive! 

I am going to use this for other baking purposes and report how it works.  For now, I've only used it in pizza dough. 

Melomeals Gluten Free Baking Mix: 

  • 4 cups brown rice
  • 4 cups chickpea flour 
  • 1/4 cup xantham gum
  • 1/4 cup psyllium husk


Method:
Grind the brown rice into flour, mix with the rest of the ingredients. Sift together and store in an air tight container. 

Here is the Pizza Recipe.  Now, it does have a mild Chickpea Flour taste.  I, personally, don't mind it, but this may not be for everyone.  My original Gluten Free Pizza Crust recipe does not have that taste! 

  • 4 1/2 cups Melomeals GF Baking MIx
  • 1 tbsp yeast
  • 2 c warm water
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp rosemary
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional) 
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (optional; I did not use, but I think it would add nice flavor to the crust)
  • 1 tbsp salt



Method:
Bloom yeast in the water with the sugar, pour into baking mix along with the spices and salt; knead until dough comes together.  You might need to wet your hands a bit.. I don't add more flour like I would with regular dough.  It will be sticky. Cover and let proof for an hour.  Follow THESE  baking instructions.  


and enjoy your pizza! 


5 comments:

  1. You say follow THESE directions but there are no directions and there is no link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for pointing that out!... I fixed the link in the post, but here is the link to how to bake amazing pizza crust without a stone: http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-make-amazing-pizza-crust-without.html

      Delete
  2. It looks delicious. What can I use in place of the psyllium?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know since this is an experimental recipe. My first instinct is flax meal, but it's not the same thing at all.. if you eat eggs, I guess I'd say eggs.. like 2-3... but again, this is just an experimental recipe, so I can't guarantee results unless you use the ingredients I've listed.

      Delete
  3. Chia seeds soaked are a great replacement... :)

    ReplyDelete