Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Amaranth Porridge


I grew up eating Cream of Wheat and it was one of my favorite breakfasts.  I loved making it with milk and using honey to sweeten it.  Not so healthy ..  I might as well have been eating wonder bread!  Since my surgery a week ago, I have been making a point to have at least 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk and 2 tablespoons of chia seeds every day.  Smoothies and pudding are a great way to utilize these ingredients, but I was craving a hot bowl of comforting cream of wheat! 

I surveyed what we had around the house and figured Amaranth was small enough to simulate cream of wheat and psylium husk would bring it all together.  I was right!  Now, this is not something that I would serve to most "normal" people, but for those of us not afraid of a little "slime" in our food, this quite delicious.  

Apple Amaranth Psyllium Porridge
  • 1/4 cup dry amaranth 
  • 2 cups water 
  • 1 apple
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch cardamom, nutmeg, salt
  • 1tbsp psyllium husk
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of choice 
  • 1/2 tsp coconut oil
  • Stevia or sweetener to taste

Method:
  1. Place amaranth and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, turn heat down to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. 
  2. Add the apple, spices and salt and cook for 10 more minutes
  3. Stir in psyllium, milk, coconut oil and sweetener. Let sit for 10 minutes, then enjoy.  If the texture is too stringy, add more milk. 
Here's another recipe using psyllium...  Orange Scented Barley Pudding.  Super Yummy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment