Saturday, March 23, 2013

All About Soy Kefir


I have been talking a lot about Soy Kefir lately... and it's only fair to post how I make this awesome ingredient.  This most likely can be made 100% vegan, but I have only cultured it in a dairy base. but given how it continues to reproduce, I'm fairly certain that you can culture soymilk with no ill effects.  
    
The original instructions which is what we followed....  and I have been using the original kefir as a starter for my soymilk keifr! In a sterilized Mason Jar add 3 cups soymmilk and 1/4 cup kefir. Cover with a towel and let the mixture ferment for 12-24 hours.  Make sure to reserve 1/4 cup kefir each time for the next batch and then continue on...  !!


I love to use my soy kefir in smoothies! 



4 comments:

  1. Where did you get your kefir starter? Did you get it directly from them since you are in MA or did you order it on-line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got it at our local home brewing supply store..

      Delete
  2. I'm curious as to how kefir is different from yogurt and buttermilk. Your kefir process is exactly how I've been serially culturing buttermilk. Just different types of cultures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what the difference is between kefir and buttermilk..? I think it tastes almost exactly like plain buttermilk. I'm going to research it a bit and see...

      Delete