The ultimate comfort food, Mac and Cheese is something many people eating a vegan diet seem to miss a lot. I know whenever I would run a special at work or make some to for the take home case, it would disappear as fast as I could make it! I have an old stand-by recipe that I tweaked just a bit to make it even better. I used our home cultured sauerkraut in the cheese and OMG, I can't begin to tell you how good it is!
I like using white beans to add a creamy texture and some fiber to the sauce. The Vita-Mix or blender is the preferred implement of choice to get the sauce super smooth. This relies on my Cashew Goat Cheese as the base. If you don't have that, just add 1/2 cup cashews, 1/2 cup sauerkraut, 1 tbsp miso, 2 cloves garlic and a dollop of mustard to the blender, but it won't taste quite as good.
New and Improved Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 8 oz pasta, uncooked
- 1 cup Melody's Nutty Goat Cheese
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp umeboshi vinegar
- 1-2 cups pasta cooking water
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or chipotle powder
- Cook pasta until al dente; drain and reserve 2 cups of the cooking water
- Add the remaining ingredients expect Earth Balance to a blender and blend until smooth
- Toss cooked pasta with the Earth Balance, pour in the sauce and cook for two minutes.
- Season with black pepper, salt if needed and the smoked paprika or chipotle
Do you have a favorite Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe?
*Note: I like Trader Joes Brown Rice Pasta for a Gluten Free Option!