I don't feel that Fennel gets the attention it deserves! Although it is technically an herb, it can be used as a vegetable as well. Raw or cooked, there are many ways to enjoy this fragrant, crunchy bulb. This salad is really easy to prepare and super simple. Don't be alarmed by the ingredients.. the grapefruit pairs nicely with the crunchy fennel, olives and creates a tangy vinaigrette when mixed with the olive oil.
Fennel and Grapefruit Salad
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and sliced into half moons
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced into half moons
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives sliced
- 1 grapefruit, sectioned, reserve juice
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- tiny pinch cardamom
- Kosher salt/freshly ground pepper to taste
Method: Toss everything together. Taste and adjust seasoning. Chill for 1 hour before serving, then taste and adjust seasoning again.
|Roasted Fennel with Cherry Tomatoes and Garlic|