Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Simple Bok Choy and Tofu Stir Fry


"This is the meatiest tofu I've had," said The Boyfriend.  I took that as a compliment of course :-)  

This is a very simple stir fry that is ready in about 15 minutes or so depending on how fast you chop veggies. The key to getting a "meaty" texture with the tofu is buying extra firm tofu, freezing then thawing it and squeezing all of the liquid out of it.  It's like squeezing a sponge! In my cooking classes people are always amazed to see the water just pour out of the tofu.  One HUGE advantage in removing the water is that any marinade you put on the tofu soaks right in, so it really flavors it well.  You just have to be careful not to over salt it, because it is very different than working with regular tofu. 


Excuse my messy prep area.. I was cooking three different things when I realized I should take pics..  I separated the stem area from the leaves of the bok choy so I could cook the stems first.  

If you look to the right, you can see the marinade in a bowl.  


Tofu cooking in the oils..  I am loving Mustard Oil and will be doing a full blog post all about it soon!  

Adding the bok choy stems.

Baby Bok Choy and Tofu
  • 4 oz firm tofu, frozen, thawed,with the water sqeezed out; crumbled with your hands
  • 1 teaspoon mustard oil
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, pressed and divided
  • 2 tablespoons each soy sauce, rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon each, mirin, sriracha, hoisin sauce
  • 1.5 lbs bok choy, stems chopped separately
  • Trader Joes Smoke Seasoning to taste or a drop of liquid smoke (optional but good)

Method:
  1. Heat the oils and 2 cloves garlic over medium high heat; cook tofu until brown
  2. In a bowl, add the remaining garlic, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, mirin, sriracha and hoisin
  3. Add the stems of the bok choy; cook for 3 minutes
  4. Add the leaves and the sauce mixture, stir fry for 2 minutes
  5. Taste and adjust seasoning.
 I found some bamboo smoked toasted black sesame seeds and used it as a garnish.. so good! I think we found them at Kam Man Asian Grocer..


.. and of course, I added more Sriracha. !

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:48 PM

    DElishes....Yummers....! I had a portabello and swiss chard to use up so I threw those and a grated carrot in as well...love easy quick recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I wasn't able to find was the mirin. Is it another sauce like the sriracha and hoisin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mirin is a Japanese Sweet Wine..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirin

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:35 AM

    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete