I LOVE using a pizza stone to bake pizza and bread, but I currently do not have one. I remember years ago, when I used my Cuisinart Toaster Oven for most of my baking how excited I was to find an stone sized perfectly for it. I loved that toaster oven!
..but back to pizza crust. You need three things:
- Cookie Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 450 degree oven
I make my own and it is really simple.
- 2 teaspoons SAF yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 3/4 cups flour + up to 1 cup for kneading purposes
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (less or omit if you don't like heat)
- In a mixing bowl, add the yeast, sugar and water; let it sit for 5 minutes
- Add the oil and flour, cornmeal, and spices; mixing with a wooden spoon until you have to knead by hand.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Spray the mixing bowl with cooking spray and return the dough to the bowl; cover and let rise until doubled in size (around 45 minutes or so)
- Punch down, divide dough into two pieces. Here is your pizza dough!
Bake for 8 minutes on the lowest wrack. You are pre-baking the crust. You will sauce and top it once it's pre-baked. I used my simple Pantry Green Olive Tapanade as the topping for this pizza.
Top pizza with whatever floats your boat! My Roasted Garlic Marinara is my usual go-to sauce for pizza, but vegan Pesto is delicious too!
Your pizza is topped with your favorite things; now it's time to finish baking it!
This time, you will place the parchment directly on the lowest oven rack without the sheet pan.
Bake for around 8 - 10 minutes until it is crusty and brown.
If you want a thicker crust, increase baking time by several minutes for a total of 20-22 minutes total baking time.