Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Hotter Sriracha Experiment # 1


I LOVE Sriracha so much!  It is like the best hot sauce out there, BUT I have a problem.  I use too much of it and that can make to food too salty.  The Boyfriend and I set out to create a sauce with the amazing Sriracha flavor, more heat and a bit less salt so I can get my chili fix!

We talked at length about the flavors in Sriracha...  and from the very limited research I have done in the past, I knew that many recipes called for fermentation.  I remembered this fermented Korean red pepper paste  (Gochujang) and suggested we use this as a base for our sauce.  OMG... let me tell you that I am IN LOVE with this paste.  It is sooo delicious.  Basically, it is hot miso with garlic and other umami flavors.  I admit, I wanted to eat it from a spoon and did a couple of times.  There are variations of heat for this paste.  We want to find the HOTTEST of the hot.. but were only able to find level 3 at the local Asian market.

Gochujang is really delicious; I will be using this in many recipes to come!!   ...



..but back to our recipe...  While this sauce is NOT Sriracha at all... it is still totally delicious.  I ate a sickening amount within the first 24 hours of making it and can't wait to see how yummy it is after sitting for almost a week!

Here is our recipe...


  • ½ cup xtra hot gochugang paste
  • ¾ cup extra hot Indian chili powder
  • 2 tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tbsp paprkia
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • ¾ cup boiling water
  • ¼ cup rice vinegar
  • ¾ cup white vinegar
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp salt
Method: Mix all of the ingredients and heat over a double boiler for 10 minutes.



The Boyfriend had the awesome idea to heat the ingredients on a double boiler... so we could preserve the the fermented nature of our sauce..   notice our "ghetto" set up?  Just a mixing bowl on top of a pan of gently boiling water...  It changed the texture of the sauce while preserving the fermented quality of the Gochujang paste..  

While we love this sauce, it is NOT Sriracha.  It is missing the brightness .. so we have a plan to remedy that...  stay tuned for more Sriracha adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment