Sunday, August 19, 2012

Japanese Style Spicy Rice and Eggs


My boyfriend makes the BEST eggs ever.  I have always despised eggs with a passion, so imagine my shock and surprise when I started CRAVING them earlier this year.  My roommate had eggs every morning and they started smelling so good to me, so I decided to try them.  I ate them every morning for a week, then got really disgusted with them again.  I figured I must have needed some nutrient they provided and got it when they started tasting bad again.   

Fast forward a couple months..  it was a lazy Sunday morning and we were going to have breakfast.  He told me about this Spicy Egg and Rice dish he makes and I was skeptical, but decided to give them a try... and what do you know, they were the BEST EGGS EVER!  I loved every bite.  They are a little sweet, a little spicy and very savory.  He uses leftover rice, but you could use any leftover grain I suppose.  We like leftover rice from Indian restaurants the most because it usually has cumin seeds in it which give a lovely little burst of deliciousness every now and then. You can even use left over fried rice, just use less oil and soy sauce.

He says that this dish was originally inspired by the "Egg Omelet" scene in the Japanese movie Tampopo, and it took him some tinkering to get it just how he likes it. He is a bit obsessive about texture, and this dish is about combining two separate sets of textures and flavors right before serving: the soft, fluffy, sweet eggs with the chewy, spicy, salty rice.   

These eggs are super fluffy due to the mirin, whisking and the slow, folding method he uses when scrambling.  The METHOD here is VERY important, so I took step by step pics.  Please excuse the lighting..  it was really dark in the kitchen.. and my battery was dying in my camera. 

Gather your Egg Ingredients:  mirin, sugar, and eggs. You can substitute sake and a pinch more sugar if you don't have mirin; the alcohol is what allows you to get the eggs so wonderfully fluffy.  Local eggs are a good thing. (not getting into the egg debate here, take it somewhere else.)
add the Mirin, a pinch of salt, and two big pinches of sugar
Whisk whisk whisk until very fluffy.. around 3 minutes
Prepare the pan
Toasted sesame oil, canola oil, soy sauce, leftover rice and siracha
Add the oils, soy sauce and siracha to a cold pan then turn heat to medium until it starts to sizzle!
Add your leftover rice (yum, look at the cumin seeds)
Coat rice evenly with sizzling oil mixture, and fry for about a minute.
Push rice to the side and pour in the fluffy eggs
Very slowly, scrape the eggs from the bottom of the pan, taking care not to break the big, fluffy curds
When the eggs look like this (still wet and a little runny) turn off heat, but keep cooking 
When the eggs are done, gently fold the eggs and rice together.
Plate up , adding some cilantro or scallions and of course, more Siracha
Let the Kitty smell! 
She approves! 

Here's the actual recipe: 
Japanese Style Spicy Rice and Eggs

Serves 2
  • 5 eggs
  • pinch salt
  • 2 tablespoons mirin
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • Siracha to taste (we used about 1 tablespoon)
  • 1/2 cup - 1 cup leftover rice 
  • 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce 
  • Optional: Cilantro or Scallions 
  • Salt/Black Pepper to taste
See method above for preparation instructions.

I am going to attempt a vegan version of this with silken tofu, black salt and a bit of turmeric for color.  I'll bet it will be delicious too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment