Sunday, May 20, 2012

Tomatillo-Cilantro Sauce

It's been a while since I've posted.  What else is new?

A lot has happened in the last couple months!  I have moved into my own apartment with no roommate!  It's great having my own space again.  Not that my last roommate wasn't a great person.. she was.. I am  just the type of person who needs her own space.

I am so happy in my newish life in Boston.  I have lost 80 pounds since Sept 24th...  without much effort to be honest.  I walk all the time.. usually at least 5 miles a day... which I have worked up to.  I love walking.  It has become my stress reliever and a GREAT way to avoid the bus. lol.

I also have a great boyfriend.  I spend most weekends with him and he is a total foodie.  He's not even close to vegetarian, but appreciates the food I cook for him.  I have also been known to cook him meat now and then..   but mostly, I make him vegan food.  The stew in the picture was part of our dinner last night and was super yummy.  It was a black bean and bulgur stew that I seasoned with a fresh Cilantro Sauce.

Several weeks back, he took me a local restaurant so I could taste this sauce and re-create it for him.. he has an amazing palate and we both took turns figuring out what was in the sauce.  I admit, I think his palate may be even better than mine.. because he picked up tomatillos which is super obvious now that I realize that is what was in the sauce...    I love tomatillos and actually make a sauce very similar to the one I made for him last night..

This sauce was kept super mild...(although we both love spicy food)...  I served it over chicken for him, but also used it to finish the black bean and bulgur stew we had for dinner.


Tomatillo Sauce
  • 6 medium tomatillos (blanched for 3 minutes, cooled and cut into quarters)
  • 4 tablespoons earth balance or olive oil
  • 2 bunches scallions, chopped
  • 10 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
  • 1 knorr veggie bouillon cube
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 large bunch cilantro, washed and chopped
  • Salt/pepper to taste
Method:
Saute all of the above for 10 minutes, then puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.  Taste and adjust seasonings.. but wait until the sauce is cooled for the final verdict.  Fresh sage is an amazing addition.


What is your favorite way to use tomatillos?

No comments:

Post a Comment