Her favorite spices are turmeric, coriander and chili powder. She also uses dried onions.
This dal comes together in under 30 minutes and is a crowd pleaser. I am going to share exactly how she does it and then give you some additions if you want to jazz it up... but do try it as is. I was surprised how good it was.
Please try to find red lentils from an ethnic store if you can. In a pinch, you can use the Goya brand.
- 1 lb red lentils
- 2.5 cups water
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried onions
- 1.5 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ghee (traditional) or coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Place dal, water, salt, onions, turmeric and chili powder in a saucepan. Bring to a toil
- Lower heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes
- Chop garlic and saute in the oil until very fragrant and golden brown.
- Add the garlic to the cooked lentils and stir in cilantro
- Taste and adjust salt if needed
- Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and 1 teaspoon ground coriander, chopped tomatoes and lemon juice.
- Add 1 teaspoon of garam masala and juice of 1 lime
- Add 1/4 teaspoon cardamom and 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
Here's another delicious Auntie dish.. stuffed Roti with Mint-Cilantro Chutney.. sooo good! She made me some for lunch and then sent some home with me to give to my boyfriend. So good!