Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Trader Joes Haul and Yummy Sandwich


I was short on time for lunch today and ran in the door to make this delicious Tofu Salad Sandwich.. basically, I used THIS recipe, but sub'd tofu for the chickpeas.  I love it both ways.  If you are looking to kick your sandwich up a notch, then definitely try give this a try! 

I used Ezekial bread, organic baby collards, tomato and my super simple white bean mayo (based on this recipe, just leave out the lecithin and water for a super cheap and yummy soy free mayo... I am going to be making more tomorrow, so I'll post the revamped recipe in the next couple of days!)

So, I TOTALLY splurged today at Trader Joes (it's only a half mile walk from my apt!).. I think that thanks to Fair Foods , I will still be able to manage my $3.33 a day this month even though I have already spent $33.34 at Trader Joes and $2 yesterday ...

Here's what I got at Trader Joes:

  • Corn Tortillas 1.49
  • Ezekial Bread 3.99
  • 2 jars marinara sauce @ 1.99 each (I was going to make my own, but canned tomatoes are really expensive in Boston, so it was cheaper to buy the sauce)
  • 2 lbs frozen organic broccoli @ 2.49 each 
  • Pickles 2.29
  • 3 packages extra firm tofu @ 1.79 each 
  • 4 organic avocados 4.99
  • garlic 1.29
  • ginger 1.39
  • 2 limes @ .29 each 
Total: $33.34

This getting used to sharing a TINY kitchen with a room mate has been interesting... and challenging.. I am starting to change how I'm doing things a bit and I'll be interested to see how I morph a new system.  I am still cooking beans and utilizing the freezer, but on a VERY small scale compared to how I used to.  

Yesterday morning I made a big pot of Split Pea Soup (based on this recipe ) and I have been enjoying that.  This morning, I added some baby collards and a tablespoon of quinoa to it while it was re-heating and had it for breakfast. 

All in all, life is good.  I am starting to figure out a small routine and am getting used to things.  

My son Andrew is coming home on Saturday from Alasaka!.. I haven't seen him for over 5 months, so I am VERY VERY excited!  My younger son is coming home from college for the weekend and I'll be up in Portsmouth on Saturday with them....   I can't wait to have both of my kids and dog in the same room. That is bliss.

6 comments:

  1. I just want to say that I am very happy that you are happy. :) That is all.

    Oh yeah, and Trader Joe's, woo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all looks so good! I'm so jealous of your cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so awesome on your sons and dog visiting soon. that rocks hard, Melody!

    your split pea soup looks so comforting and hooooray for a Trader Joe's run. i love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you ate the soup for breakfast, because I do the same thing. I can make a giant batch of anything and eat it for days. Have a great weekend with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it will be so nice to have your whole family in the same place, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete