Friday, October 14, 2011

Simple Black Bean Chili


The other day I cooked up a pound of dry black beans and have been using them in various ways..  burgers of course, but also Breakfast Brownies (recipe coming tomorrow).   I had around 2 cups of beans leftover this morning, so I made a batch of simple Black Bean Chili.  Last week, I made salsa, which I used in this recipe, but feel free to use jarred salsa if that is what you have on hand. (But make my salsa just once because it is really good!).  I also used my Cilantro Chutney to add a zing to the chili, but you can just use lime juice or even apple cider vinegar in a pinch.   I have to thank one of my facebook peeps (I don't remember who it was) who gave me the idea to use oats in chili!  She tried making my 3 Ingredient Veggie Burgers, but for some reason they didn't hold together, so she made soup out of them and said it was really good!  The oats add great texture and a silky mouthfeel to the soup.

Simple Black Bean Chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
1 onion, chopped
1 small stalk celery, diced
1 large carrots, chopped
½ teaspoon Tony’s Creole Seasoning or salt
1 medium potato, chopped
2 cups cooked black beans (if your beans are salted, add less Tony’s/salt)
½ cup salsa
½ cup rolled oats
4 cups water (plus more if needed)
½ cup cilantro
Dash liquid smoke
1 tablespoon cilantro chutney
Pico (fresh tomato, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and a pinch of salt)

Some of my favorite flavors! I added some crushed red pepper flakes too. 
I ate it for breakfast and lunch. Yum! 
Do you enjoy savory breakfasts?
I do! this was another bfast.. black beans, salsa, hickory smoked bean spread, collards and avocado!