Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Fair Foods Boston ,MA and Gingered Carrot/Daikon Slaw


Oh am I sure excited to do this post!  I found an amazing organization called Fair Foods.  It salvages produce and distributes it in areas where people may have a harder time accessing fresh foods.  FOR $2.00 A BAG!!!!  

I was a little worried I would not be able to stick to my budget (and I REALLY NEED TO)... so this is a blessing! I am sooo psyched! 

Here's today's stash and note that this includes ORGANIC BABY COLLARD GREENS! .. I swear, I almost clapped when I saw them.  I feel VERY fortunate that I can take advantage of this. 

Wow... I am truly shocked! 

Last week, I made a trip to Chinatown and found a reduced produce bin.  I was very happy with my finds and I made a simple Gingered Carrot and Daikon Slaw.... but first, my Chinatown stash:

I got a large bag of Bok Choy for $1, the Cauliflower for $1.. the limes were .$25 each and the daikon was under a dollar if I remember right.. and the Hot Toasted Sesame Oil was $2.50.. 

So.. the slaw...   I have made a Soy Free Super Simple White Bean Mayo that I will be posting the recipe for the next time I make it... it is pretty much THIS RECIPE using white beans, no water and no lecithin.

Gingered Daikon Carrot Slaw  
2 large carrots
1/2 of a 12 inch daikon
1 heaping tablespoon fresh ginger
handful of fresh basil, cilantro or mint (or a mixture of them all)
3 tablespoons vegan mayo 
Siracha to taste
Soy Sauce to taste
Juice of 1 big lime
pinch lime zest
1 T apple cider vinegar
fresh pepper

Grate or chop carrots, daikon and ginger in a food processor
Toss with the rest of the ingredients.. season to your liking

Enjoy! 





7 comments:

  1. This looks perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love daikon. This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a boon in veggie bargains! It all looks good to me. The slaw looks so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so amazingly frugal - I love it :) And thanks for linking to your vegan mayo recipe, somehow I missed it and now I'm kinda obsessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it just me or do 'Chinatowns' the world over have the cheapest produce?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to ferment this!!

    ReplyDelete