I'm settling in nicely to Boston. I LOVE it. The deals I've been finding are amazing too!
I made this clean out the fridge veggie and black eyed pea stew the other day that I ate for several days. The longer it sat, the better it was.
I used what I had on had, but feel free to use the veggies in your fridge. This was a total fusion dish.. african/creole.. asian?
Clean Out the Fridge Stew
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch ground cardamom (or 4 cardamom pods)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or better yet, 1 tablespoon fresh, stirred in just before serving)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced, fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon Tony's Creole Seasoning or Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small head savoy cabbage (or regular green cabbage)
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups cooked black eyed peas (or other cooked bean)
- water or broth to keep mixture from sticking (between 1-2 cups)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- freshly ground pepper and soy sauce to taste
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat the oil and spices over medium heat; add onions, garlic, and ginger; sprinkle with the Tony's or Old Bay
- Add the veggies, salsa and water. Cook for several more minutes, then cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Finish dish with parsley/cilantro, vinegar and salt/soy sauce. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then check again for seasoning.
- Serve over cooked brown rice, quinoa or millet.