Monday, October 17, 2011

Chickpea Tostadas

I love savory breakfasts and yesterday I enjoyed these spicy Chickpea Tostadas.  They came together in about 20 minutes.  First, I popped the corn tortillas in the toaster over to crisp up while I prepared the filling.
Chipotle Chickpeas:
  • 1 t olive oil
  • 1/4 t cumin seeds
  • 1/2 t coriander
  • 1-2 teaspoons chipotle powder or smoked paprika if you don't like heat, start with 1 and taste
  • slight pinch cinnamon
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup cooked chickpeas 
  • 1/4 c salsa
  • 1 T cilantro chutney
  1. Saute onion and garlic with the spices for 10 minutes
  2. Add chickpeas, salsa and chutney, heat through
See how easy that is?  You can make a big batch and freeze by tripling the recipe..  I topped the tortilla with the last of my Smoky White Bean Spread , shredded Savoy Cabbage , Arugula and Pico...  so yummy! 

I hit up Haymarket which is an open air produce market in Boston knows for its deals and wow, I was impressed. I am going to do an entire post about it, but to give you an idea of the bargains... I got a HUGE bag (3 lbs) of baby arugula for $3, all of the bananas you see for $1 and the garlic for $1

I am eating BETTER in Boston which is going to be yet another post!  

Tomorrow, I am meeting with the founder of Fair Foods! I am really excited about what could potentially evolve... a big part of the reason I wanted to move to Boston was to get involved in Food rescue and bringing access and education to those in food deserts...