Thursday, September 15, 2011

Balsamic Roasted Tofu and Kale


I am slowly but surely using up the greens from my friends garden!  I am actually thinking of having a big meal next Thursday at my house so I can cook up all my food an invite people over here to take it home!  I will be moving on Saturday... and wow... life is just chugging along!

If you are localish and want to come to a big feast, let me know.. I am in Portsmouth, NH...

Here's a recipe for Balsamic Roasted Tofu with Kale and Sun Dried Tomatoes..

  • 14 oz extra firm tofu, cubed
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil (reserve 2)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • ¼ t cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1 bunch kale (around 10 cups) washed, and chopped
  • 2 T balsamic vinegar
  • ½ cup sun dried tomatoes (pour 1 cup boiling water over them, reserve soaking liquid)
  • ½ cup dried shitake mushrooms (optional; pour boiling water over them, reserve liquid for another recipe if desired)
  • ¼ cup nutritional yeast
  • Good pinch freshly grated nutmeg
  • Soy sauce/lemon pepper to taste
Method:
  • Pre-heat oven to 400
  • Cube tofu, toss with 1 T soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and 1 T olive oil, place on sheet pan in a single layer and cook for 30 minutes… meanwhile...
  • Heat a 12 inch skillet to medium heat; add the remaining olive oil, onion, garlic and spices.
  • Sauté for 5 minutes; de-glaze with balsamic vinegar
  • Add Kale, tomatoes and mushrooms. Toss pan a couple times, and add the tomato soaking liquid
  • Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
  • When tofu is ready, add to the pan along with nutritional yeast and nutmeg
  • Season with soy sauce and lemon pepper to taste
This is delicious over pasta, brown rice, soft polenta or any other favorite grain. Quinoa of course comes to mind and so does millet! 

What are your favorite ways to use Kale?

17 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! I have a fear of kale, I've only used it in smoothies, but this recipe looks doable for me. :-) Do you press your tofu first?

    Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kale is delicious! There are a few different kinds. Give it another try.

      Delete
  2. That looks fantastic! Your tofu looks nice and crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for your move, you're going to love Boston I just know it!

    My fave way to use kale is to bake it with nutritional yeast and then smother with sriracha - mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! My kind of recipe. Other than tossing kale in soup, I like to steam it over some garlic broth with shredded carrots and corn kernels. A little coarse sea salt on top, and this is a quick and really tasty meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think kale and sun-dried tomatoes go great together. Beautiful pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks amazing. This is definitely on the short "must try" list! I usually just make massaged kale salad and juice the leftover stalks and leaves. I need to branch out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourite thing to do with kale is chuck it on the compost heap.
    I'm wondering whether like so many other things, kale is different in the States to here in Britain.
    Here it is a tough, deep-green leaf, so hard you could use it as a floor-covering, and about as tasty. I have tried it several times, thinking that as it is still sold I must just have been unfortunate before and got hold of a bad batch, but no, each time it is cooked (steamed), grimaced over, left on the plate and then thrown on the compost heap.
    I've given up.
    cj

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure I'll take kale any which way! I'm easy like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @anon

    How are you preparing your kale? If you're eating it raw, it's probably best to "massage" it with some olive oil in order to soften in. Other than that, steaming it until it's bright green or, my favorite, braising it with veggie broth always makes it almost melt in your mouth yummmmz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I realy like dishes like this! I have lots of chopped chard in the freezer and this is a very inspring recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and good luck with moving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @anon, there are a lot of different varieties of kale, too. If you want something softer with a sharper flavor, try russian kale -- it's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this for the 2nd time last night - this time I didn't have any kale (or any leafy greens for that matter!) so I subbed broccoli and added carrots and a bit of red cabbage. Turned out fantastic anyways! I love the flavors in this dish. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum.. I'm glad you subbed what you had on hand. The flavors are so good!

      Delete
  14. I haven't had this in MONTHS. Someone today asked if I knew a good tofu recipe and you KNOW this is the one they got. I think this is Saturday night dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the recipe

      Delete