I cooked up a pound of Kidney Beans in my pressure cooker the other day and have been using them in various dishes. I made a huge batch of this spicy curry and have frozen half of it. I still have quite a bit leftover as well and will be eating it for several meals and most likely making a burger out of it in a couple of days. It will make a great Middle Eastern type burger!
I used what I had on hand... you could really add any veggie you like, switch up the legumes or add tofu, seitan or tempeh for the protein in place of beans. I made this pretty spicy with the addition of two large jalapenos, but feel free to reduce the amount of leave them out all together. Remove the seeds if you are sensitive to heat as well.
Kidney Bean, Veggie and Coconut Curry
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapenos , finely minced (less if desired)
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon Tony's Creole Seasoning or Salt
- 2 carrots , diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 4 cups cooked kidney beans
- 2.5 cups water or stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat coconut oil over medium high heat, add spices
- Add onion, ginger and garlic, ginger, jalapenos and Tony's
- Turn heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes
- Add veggies, beans, water and coconut milk
- Cover, bring to a strong simmer for 30 minutes
- Stir in vinegar and cilantro, turn off heat and let sit for 10 minutes
- Taste and adjust seasoning adding salt/soy sauce and pepper
- Serve over your favorite grain
This obviously makes a big batch, it freezes well and will keep in the fridge for 5 days.
I also made a batch of Southwestern Beans and 3-Bean Salad out of the rest of the beans. I'll post those recipes in the next couple of days.