The other day I was craving a big plate of sweet and spicy sesame tofu, so I off to the market I went.
I bought a 16 oz bag of sir fry veggies for $.99. It contained, broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts, red peppers, mushrooms and baby corn. I added some yellow squash had at home and a big onion.
Spicy Sesame Ginger Tofu and Veggies ( serves 2 )
- 7 oz lite firm tofu
- 1 T toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 yellow squash or zucchini
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb frozen or fresh veggie of your choice
- 1.5 c broth or water
- 1 T cornstarch mixed with 2 T cold water
- 8 cloves pressed garlic
- 1/8 t 5 spice powder
- 2 T fresh ginger
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- very scant 1/8 t kal stevia or 3-4 T sweetener
- 3 T soy sauce
- 1-3 T Siracha
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Dry fry the tofu in 1 t sesame oil; remove and sprinkle with soy sauce
- Add another t of sesame oil and saute the onion and squash
- In a blender add the broth, garlic, 5 spice, ginger, vinegar, stevia, soy sauce and siracha. Blend well.
- Add the frozen veggies and sauce, bring to a simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir in the cornstarch/water mixture
- Cook for 5 more minutes
- Taste and adjust seasoning
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!