Soup oh soup how I love you! It is truly the best of all worlds. Where else can a few ingredients come together and create such a comforting dish with so little effort?
The other day, I cooked up a pound of dried beans. $.99 sure goes a long way! From 3 Ingredient Veggie Burgers, to Black Bean Hummus, Sugar Free Chocolate Energy Balls, Chocolate Hummus and now the finale, Southwestern Vegetable Barley Black Bean Stew! Beans are a frugal gals best friend ever.
This stew is full of fun textures from the barley and corn and super spicy ( you could leave out the habanero and optional chipotle if you're senstive to heat) The sweet potato compliments the heat and the cabbage rounds everything out. I only wish I had made a batch of my Gluten Free Cornbread to go with it!
Southwestern Veggie, Black Bean and Barley Soup
- 2 T EVOO
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1 t coriander
- 2 T chili powder
- pinch oregano
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 habanero pepper
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 t Tony’s Creole seasoning
- 1 medium sweet potato, medium chop
- ½ c dry barley
- 1 c cooked black beans
- 4 c water
- 14 oz canned tomatoes
- 2 c corn
- 3 c cabbage or green of choice
- 2 T apple cider vinegar or juice of 2 limes
- 1 c cilantro
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- Optional: 1-2 canned chipotle if you like a spicy, smoky flavor
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Sauté veggies and spices over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add water if needed to keep veggie from sticking
- Add the sweet potato, barley, beans and water. Bring to a boil
- Turn heat down to medium, cover and simmer for an hour or until barley is cooked
- Stir in tomatoes, greens vinegar, cilantro and nutritional yeast
- Taste and adjust seasoning
I've already eaten this for two mini meals and have at least 6 cups left!
This morning, I made some really delicious oatmeal. I love adding psyllium. The extra fiber keeps me full for a long time and I don't mind the texture in oats. I cooked 1/2 c oats in 2 c water with stevia, nutmeg, lemon zest, cinnamon and raisins. While the oats were cooking, I took some Whole Soy Unsweetened Soy Yogurt ( which was given to me to review, look for that post coming up soon ), chia seed, maple extract, nutmeg and stevia. I allowed it to thicken up while the oats were cooking then stirred it just before serving. Oh so good!
This is good both hot and cold! I am sooooo looking forward to summer so I can enjoy colder foods again!
Do you have a favorite outside of the box oatmeal flavor?