Saturday, November 20, 2010

Frugal Thanksgiving Recipes Part 2

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Welcome to our second day of frugal Thanksgiving  recipes! First things first, it looks like the winning dessert recipe will be the Gluten Free Brownie Pumpkin Pie. I am going to go shopping either later on today or early tomorrow morning, so there's still time to vote for the Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake with Orange Infused Ganache if that floats your boat.

 ( see yesterday's post )

Today I have another choice for Monday's installment.

  • Raw collard salad with apples, raisins and Mustard Flax Vinaigrette or
  • Sauted Collards, apples and Raisins
Today our first recipe is a simple Roasted Sweet Potato Salad. It's a nice alternative to the rich, dessert like casserole on many tables. ( not that there's anything wrong with that! )
I am using toasted sesame seeds ( buy the seeds in bulk and toast them yourself ) instead of more expensive pecans or walnuts. I like to think outside of the box a little bit when it comes to flavors, so even though these aren't totally traditional Thanksgiving notes, they will compliment the rest of a more standard holiday meal.


Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
2 T olive oil
½ t Tony’s Cajun Seasoning
1 c dried cranberries
1 T candied ginger, chopped
½ c toasted sesame seeds
¼ c scallions
2 T olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 c fresh parsley
Salt/pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 400.

Prep sweet potatoes, toss with 2 T oil and Tony’s. Spread in a single layer on a sheet pan and roast for 25 - 30 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, toss with the rest of the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.

Our next recipe is a super simple Nutritional Yeast Gravy:
4 c cold water ( or sodium free veggie broth )
2 T cornstarch
1 C Nutritional Yeast
1.5 t Seasoning Salt
¾ t ground sage 
½ t smoked paprika
¼ c onion powder ( or 1 small onion )*
3 T garlic powder ( or 8 cloves garlic )*
Pinch turmeric ( optional )
Black pepper to taste
2 T soy sauce
2 T Earth Balance or Olive Oil 
2 T Dijon or spicy brown mustard
1 T apple cider vinegar
½ c fresh parsley

Whisk everything together very well, Make sure the water or broth is very cold. Pour into sauce pan and whisk over medium high heat until it bubbles for 1 minute. Stir in parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings. 

*If you are using fresh onions and garlic, saute them in the earth balance or oil with a pinch of salt first, then add the rest of the ingredients to the pan. 

You can make both of these dishes the day before. 

Tomorrows recipes will include Bulgur Stuffing,, Cheesy Mashed Potatoes and the winning Dessert recipe. Monday's recipes will be Holiday Lentil Loaf and the winning Collard side.

Happy Frugal Vegan Cooking! 

7 comments:

  1. Great recipes, Mel! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Melody--that gravy sounds fantastic! I missed yesterdays post, so I am excited to go read it, lol :-)

    Courtney
    PS my vote is for the sauteed greens recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for the raw collards salad! There is entirely too much cooked food in a traditional Thanksgiving meal. :)

    BTW, I read your gravy recipe twice, and I don't see nutritional yeast listed anywhere as an ingredient! Am I losing my marbles, or is that a type-o?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love a good noochy gravy - and yours sounds fantastical, Melody. :) sage and smoked paprika are two of my favorite spices (cumin and chipotle powder are on my list of favs, too). sooo yum! i think it's awesome you're rock'n the frugal thanksgiving recipes - and might i add that your cranberry chutney is beautiful and sounds deeeeeelicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine, Yikes! Thank you for catching that. When I create recipes, I am jotting things down on paper and then I type them up. Translation from what I do to getting it on paper correctly is where so much is LOST! oy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That salad is beautiful, I want to eat it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gravy looks really good!
    Do I have to use smoked paprika--could I just use regular paprika? Kinda low on funds right now. Thanks and I LOVE your website/recipes!

    ReplyDelete