Sunday, October 17, 2010

Corny Chickpea Pancake Recipe

Corny Chickpea Pancakes

I'm not a big breakfast person, but the last two days it's been cold and I've had long days scheduled, so a hearty breakfast has been in order. Plus, I'm getting sick of oatmeal.  
I wanted to create a recipe that is full of protein, low in fat and sugar and still tastes good. I think I hit the nail on the head with these simple pancakes. Now, these are not your typical fluffy diner style cakes, nor are they crepe like. They remind of the healthy, whole wheat pancakes my ex used to make. For the topping, I had some leftover sauted apples from yesterday. Apples, golden raisins, cinnamon and stevia cooked down with a tiny bit of water. The sauce is a cultured almond cream.

Corny Chickpea Pancakes 

1 c cornmeal
1 c chickpea flour
1/2 T baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/8 t Kal Stevia or 2 T sugar
2 c water

Method:
Mix everything together very well with a whisk. In a non-stick skillet coated with oil  over medium heat ladel in 1/2 cup at a time. cook around 3-4 minutes on the first side, flip and cook another minute.

Simple, easy, healthy and good. You can save the leftovers and use them for peanut butter and banana sandwich wraps.  You could probably cut them into triangles, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on them for a sweet treat. 

I just love chickpea flour. It is so versatile in replacing both gluten and eggs in so many recipes. Do you have any interesting ways of using chickpea flour?


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:40 PM

    <3 this Melody, I would be interested in any other gluten free recipes you might have, doesnt have to be vegan, we eat cheese eggs and butter.
    ~Jo (Silverhawke)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, delicious! I am getting a little sick of oatmeal too! This looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chickpea flour too--so good!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just made these however i added some vanilla extract, almond,extract and nutmeg. i topped it off with applesauce &syrup. YUMMY!!!!

    ReplyDelete