Monday, October 18, 2010

Chickpea Fried Rice and stocking up for the week.

Chickpea Fried Rice with Collards and Carrots

This was a quick lunch today. I had some leftover raw slaw, cooked brown rice and chickpeas so I threw together a fried rice in my cast iron. I used 1 t toasted sesame oil, an onion, ginger garlic and some of my Low Fat Sesame Ginger Dressing for flavor. 10 minute meal baby! Siracha and toasted sesame seeds finished it off. 

I did cooking for the week this morning. My son likes setian, so I made 6 seitan cutlets. Tonight for his dinner, I'm making cornmeal crusted seitan and salad with cornbread. I also made some whole wheat buns and veggie burgers. 
I don't mind eating leftover soup for many meals, but my son does. Veggie burgers and seitan allow him to have some variety in his diet and can be used in several dishes throughout the week. 

I used bean cooking liquid in the seitan along with some cajun seasoning. Very simple. Here's the recipe for the cornbread. This batch contained gluten.  The buns were made from flour, yeast, water, salt and a pinch of sugar and the burgers were TVP/Oat based. 

I still haven't been shopping, but I have to because after tonight I will be out of produce.  I'll post the shopping list for the last 3 trips in my next post. 

5 comments:

  1. So glad you are back and GF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a great idea! Cooking up different meal options for the week. I've been cooking up a double of whatever I'm making, and by the third day I'm usually sick of it.

    Do you have a recipe for the seitan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. C- I didn't write down the proportions, but I used bean cooking liquid and cajun seasoning for the seitan. I simmered it in broth for around 35 minutes. Next time, I will write down the exact portions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I want to try that for my husband and kids. I also wanted to lick the screen as I'm on day 22 of my 30-40 juice cleanse. Always looking for inspiration for meals to fix my family. Thank you!!
    http://veganrawfood.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete