Monday, December 22, 2008

Raw Chocolate Biscotti and Quinoa Eggplant Soup Recipe

Raw Chocolate Biscotti with Orange Infused Ganache

This was an experiment from Saturday night and I am thrilled with the results! They actually got crispy in the dehydrator. The next time I make them, I am going to write down the recipe. I see endless possibilities with these babies! The ganache was made from leftover chocolate sauce from the freezer. It was a cashew based chocolate sauce (raw of course). I added orange zest and let it sit overnight. It was perfect marriage of flavors and textures with the smooth ganache and crunchy biscotti. It's funny because I've only had traditional biscotti once. I took a bite and spit it out. The eggy flavor was too much for me to take. I know that there are tons of great looking vegan biscotti recipes out there, but due to my past experience just the thought of them turned my stomach. These actually came together by accident. I was planning on making another crust for a raw cheesecake for the holidays and as I formed the dough into a ball to put in the freezer the idea came to me to try biscotti. I'm sure glad I did! I will take these to our family holiday dinner.

Last post, I promised the recipe for my Eggplant Quinoa soup.. so here it is! You'll notice that I listed between 1-4 T of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in the recipe. You can use even less and coat the pan with cooking spray or use the full amount depending on the calories you want to add to the soup. I used 1 T and it is delicious. I think the orgins of this soup were based on the Tomato-Rice soup recipe in Veganomnicon if I remember right.



Eggplant Quinoa Soup
serves 6
1-4 T EVOO
1 large onion, diced
8 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 t red pepper flakes
2 t dried basil
1 t dried marjoram
1/2 t fennel seeds
1/2 t dried rosemary
pinch salt/pinch pepper
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 medium eggplant, diced
3 c white bean of choice (29 oz can)
8 c water or stock
vegetable bouillon cube if using water
28 oz canned tomato (whatever you have on hand, crushed, sauce, stewed, whole)
1/2 c quinoa
Salt/Pepper to taste
Fresh Basil (optional, but VERY good)
Baby Spinach (optional)
1 t EVOO and 1 T nutritional yeast per bowl for finishing (optional)
Method:
In a heavy bottomed 4 quart pot over medium heat add the oil, onions, dried spices and a pinch salt/pepper. Sauté for several minutes then add garlic. When the onions are translucent, deglaze with vinegar. Add the eggplant, beans and water or stock, tomatoes. Bring to a boil for several minutes, then turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off heat, add quinoa, around a cup of fresh basil and cover for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with more fresh basil, baby spinach and a teaspoon of evoo and lots of freshly ground pepper!


17 comments:

  1. Oh my, amazing eats.

    Happy holidays, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet. I'd love to try raw biscotti! I don't remember what traditional biscotti tasted like, but I don't think I really like it that much. But I know this would be wonderful, especially with a raw ganache!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That biscotti looks to DIE FOR!! Mmm.. I will definitely be holding on to that soup recipe! YUM!

    Have a great holiday Melody! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those biscotti are just dangerous looking! I want one right now!

    And the soup sounds great, too (don't know why, but I was assuming all your recipes were raw. . silly me!)

    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The biscotti sound dangerous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. I am thinking of making soup. Its funny when I start thinking of making something, one of the blogs I read will post a recipe almost always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melody - you should market the biscotti! It looks amazing! Premade raw items command a high price - think about it!

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raw biscotti.. I am intrigued! And it looks delicious. Thanks so much for the soup recipe!

    Hope you are having a happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been anxious to try the tomato rice soup from Vcon so your quinoa and eggplant version sounds great too!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did someone say "chocolate"?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Other than the FDA approved weight loss pills, herbs and medicines prepared from herbal products also adequately assist you in triggering off weight loss. As you scan the herbal weight loss related pages of the website http://www.weight-loss-truths.com , you would come to known that herbal weight loss is possible through herbal products such as Hoodia, Dandelion, Pyruvate, Aloe Vera et al. However, before opting for herbal weight loss products, it is necessary for you to consult with a herbal practitioner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Mel,

    I made this soup during the week.. WOW!! I just blogged about it, it's a new favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your experiment was so gorgeous I always like to taste new things and I couldn't avoid this recipe it was so tentative to me I taste it and I was surprised when I tasted the chocolate with the eggplant. that's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This recipe is extremely delicious my son love to eat it when he is on vacation because he said that it is the best dessert that he has tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6:42 PM

    Let's start a small discussion on usability of this blog. I say there are at least 5 major design flaws here. Anyone see it?
    This is a clear example of a harmless meaningless post, so why delete it, mr Moderator?
    What's a good starting point for launching an interesting blog? I want people to come and read my articles, and I want to see lots of comments.
    This page lacks some funny comments. Know any jokes?

    I'm miserable without you, it's like having you here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I was looking some legal procedure for my case testimonial about Handwriting expert and Handwriting analyst in Google although I have done lot of research and development about Handwriting analysis before suddenly my search stopped me at your blog I really enjoyed reading it. I'm supposed to be somewhere else in a minute but I stuck to reading the story. I love Your Blog……..
    Forged documents | Forgery

    ReplyDelete