Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Salads and simple food

Salads, salad, salad! (said in my best Jan Brady voice).... On Mon and Tue I get home from work around 8pm and the last thing I want is to eat or prepare a large meal, so I've been eating salad. Boring as it may be to some, it is enjoyable for this party of one. The salad above and below are very similar, baby arugula, low fat flax vinaigrette, baked tofu and avocado... but the one above contained these awesome canned mandarin oranges. The reason they are so awesome is that they were canned without any sugar or corn syrup! When I opened the can, I added a tiny bit of stevia to them and they were fabulous.

I used some of the Lightlife Flax Tempeh to create this awesome dish.
In my cast iron with cooking spray I sauted scallions, garlic and ginger along with soy sauce, daikon and steamed tempeh... a T or so of hoisin sauce and chili garlic sauce punched up the flavor big time. I served it wrapped in a steamed red cabbage leaf topped with avocado and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil. It hit the spot!

Now, onto two more Lightlife reviews:

The first from my 14 year old vegetarian son who enjoyed the Smart Stuffers Chick'n Broccoli Melts. He really liked them and said he'd be very happy to eat them once a week or so. He had two which contained a whopping 40 grams of protein, along with a salad and was very full. They are not vegan though... I wish they were! It's important to read labels and not assume a vegetarian product won't have eggs or dairy.

Second, my mother tried the Smart Chili and she liked it a lot. She said it had a wonderful flavor, but she added a bunch of veggies to it because she's into veggies. Growing up, every meal had to contain a green vegetable. (steamed or raw) I thank her for that.

Oh, I forgot, a third review from my X about the Chorizo sausages. (I have two saved in my freezer to try so I can give my opinion)... He loved them! He said they were delicious and hit the spot after a work out when he often craves meat.

This life of mine seems very odd right now. I am looking for a permanent apartment in the same town as my kids (I currently live 20 mins away from them)... so many changes in the last year. I can't wait until I am living there and they can be with me whenever they want. It has been a hard adjustment not to be with them everyday. Two teen boys... they will be men before I know it.

I really NEED there to be good lighting in this new apartment... because my photography depends on it.

15 comments:

  1. haha! your Jan Brady reference made me laugh out loud - love it! :0D

    that salad looks so light and refreshing, with the orange segments - yum!

    your photographs are ALWAYS beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salads look SO good, omg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be praying that you get an affordable, nice apartment near your sons.

    Also, my friends in FL wouldn't let me quit blogging (it's how they stay in touch with what's happening in my life) but I'm going with a private blog so I can be more candid. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you the link. I just need your email address.

    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the same LightLife package, too!

    I love your salad with the citrus--I had something similar in Playa w/grapefruit and avocados and it was just wonderful.

    Your new apt will find you before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great group of meals. I think the key to a successful weight-loss diet is making sure you don't feel deprived, and you certainly seem to accomplish that!

    Good luck with the apartment search!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my favorite thing about salad is how simple and FAST it is to prepare! No slaving in front of a hot stove necessary to produce a terrific dish—ya gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never get tired of salad. I like to pile every veggie in my fridge on salads. But I'm trying to get better about trying different salads with one or two ingredients...just to shake things up a little.

    Good luck with the apt search. I know how overwhelming that can be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i agree with veggie girl. more lighting? you'd be a pro!

    i hate salads. i'm the worst vegetarian ever. but put some toasted almond slivers in it and i'm in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it seems like a bunch of peeps are product testing. sounds fun to me! thanks for the reviews

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Melody! That's a beautiful salad you've got there. I'll be sending you good thoughts for a good apartment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your salads! I'm only 5 minutes from my son and it's great. I hope you find a place real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your salads look like the perfect meal, anytime of day! I have to have a salad of some sort everyday, no matter how many other veggies I eat. I never get sick of them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Salads could never be boring!!

    I tried that lightlife chili at vegfest and really liked it as well. Haven't looked for it yet in the stores thoug.

    Hope you find a place soon that you love!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your salads look so yummy Melody!

    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm sure that you will find something great soon.

    ReplyDelete