Saturday, February 23, 2008

Raw love and weigh in...

Call me inspired to make raw foods. Mattye has released an amazing Ebook. Go buy it now! Seriously, do it. It is Frugal Raw. You can't get much better than that. I can't wait to dive into her recipes. I don't think I've been this excited about a cookbook for a while.

I got up super early this morning and weighed in. 3 lbs lost! Of course, that is over two weeks because I chose not to weigh in last week due to sickness. I knew that I had lost weight, but also knew I'd regain that weight as soon as I started to eat again. I am so glad I chose to do it this way, because the 3 lbs for the last 2 weeks made me very happy. It's a total of 5 lbs in 3 weeks, which is more than my 1 lb per week goal. I am soo NOT deprived at all. I am eating an amazing amount of healthy and delicious food... more than most people would ever imagine possible for weight loss. Of course, I KNOW I could lose weight faster if I cut my calories more, but I am not willing to do that. This is about the long haul. I can do this easily for the rest of my life and feel very satisfied.
...soo.. onto the food.. The picture above was another delicious 100 calorie snack. Raw yellow squash, salted, rinsed and drained along with a puree of grape tomatoes, garlic, nutritional yeast and 1/2 t of evoo..... and of course, fresh basil.
the 'noodles', salted and draining. I rinse the final product before using.
Even in the winter, you can get amazing grape tomatoes. My local grocery store had them on sale for .99/pint last week. Coupled with fresh basil, they made an amazing sauce in my food processor. Simple ingredients can make such a huge difference when it comes to healthy foods. The flavors of ripe tomatoes and fresh basil can carry a dish. I do feel a bit guilty, because it's the middle of winter in NH... how is it that I can get such amazing produce? oy.

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 5 pounds, you are ahead of schedule! I think it's just amazing that you're so smart about this too, not undergoing a diet but making a life change. AND eating like a queen the whole time! Good on ya'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food looks so yummy! I love using zucchini/yellow squash as "noodles"--it is so light and a nice change.

    Congratulations on your weight loss--you really are eating so well and healthy, it no surprise that you are losing!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on yr weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:36 PM

    Congrats on your weight loss! I admire your approach to losing the weight in small increments instead of going for major loss of pounds. They do say that gradual loss results in keeping it off longer.

    Grape tomatoes here sell for 2.16 a pint. I just bought some yesterday for salads.

    Traci Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Melody! I love that you're showing people that it's very possible to eat so well and loose weight at the same time.

    You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woooo hooo! 5 lbs! That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree that high-quality food is an underappreciated component of weight loss. I think a lot of the mindless snacking habit in America is due to non-nutritive, non-satisfying food. I have started shopping at the local gourmet market. While my grocery bill is higher than before, it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on your 5lb loss! and eating so well, too. :) i love those last 2 photos - so artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, Mel! That is so great.

    Nothing like delicious raw veggies. I plan on doing a raw foods detx in the coming weeks...I really need to lay off the salty snacks and wine and consume more whole foods (This is what a sterssful job does to me!).

    ReplyDelete