Saturday, November 17, 2007

Holy chickpeas.... and a question

Many bloggers are talking about the Roasted Garlic, Tomato and Rice soup from VCON, so I had to try it. I didn't have any brown rice, so I sub'd half quinoa and half millet instead. Also I cooked up a pound of dried chickpeas earlier in the week, so I used those instead of white beans. Super good and comforting. I followed the spice instruction exactly, but then felt it needed more flavor, so I added a bit of balsamic vinegar and some dried basil and several drops of truffle oil to the top. Very comforting. I have a bad cold right now, so this is helping me breathe.. oh and I added crushed red pepper flakes.
As I mentioned, I have a lot of cooked chickpeas on hand, so I turned some into a roasted wasabi chickpea salad. Freshly grated ginger, wasabi, garlic, soy sauce, celery, carrots, lime juice and a ton of siracha tasted great with roasted chickpeas. I like eating it on celery for a snack.
This was my lunch yesterday. Low carb lavash, chickpea "tuna" salad, baby spinach and avocado. Delish. I've still been using my laptop lunchbox, but this is as close as you'll get to a pic... taken at 5 am. The low carb lavash does not hold up all night, so I have to make lunch in the morning before I leave for work.

Onto my question. I'm teaching an Ethnic Food cooking class Tuesday night and am wondering which dishes I should feature? I usually cook 5 different main dish meals.
My tentative menu is:

-Chipotle lime black bean burritos with homemade salsa
-Sesame Tofu and Broccoli
-Hummus and Tabouli
-Moo-Shi Veggies with Tofu
-Spinach Walnut Sauce over Whole Wheat Fettuccini

I have 3 hours to make all of the dishes and I will need around 15- 20 portions of each dish, so simplicity is a must.

Since most of you have been reading me for a while, if you were to come to a cooking class of mine with the theme Ethic Foods, which 5 dishes would you want to make?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Melody--
    I hope you are doing well--good luck with your cooking class! What about the falafel or dahl recipes you gave to your testers? I made both, and they were great! The dahl was pretty quick and simple too, if I am remembering correctly...

    Let us know how it goes!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stil loving the idea of quinoa in soup. The chickpeas look great.

    The tofu egg salad tester recipe is awesome and I'm sure would be good for a class.

    The recipes you chose all sounds great too. Honestly, I'd be happy to go to any cooking class you were teaching. Too bad I don't live a little closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything sounds great for your menu. But maybe you could swap out one of your dishes for a dessert. Or add a dessert. I dunno. I just love sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Falafels are always my favorite, so I'd vote those too. Or dessert, since we all need dessert!

    Good luck in your new place. One of my daughters lives with her dad during the week and it is SO hard to get used to... I hope all goes well for you - and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm, that Roasted Garlic, Tomato & Rice Soup from V'con DOES look quite scrumptious; as does your chickpea-salad!! yum!!

    Honestly? Your tentative menu sounds exceptional!! I've been reading your blog for quite some time now, so I'm definitely familiar with the majority of your dishes; but I think the line-up that you have right now is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've seen a lot of posts about that tomato & garlic soup. 2 of my favorite things & it sounds SO good.

    the chickpea "tuna" salad looks good. i am going to have to try that.

    are u still looking for recipe testers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The menu looks good to me. Your recipes are delicious so I'm sure everyone will have an awesome time at your class.

    Happy Thanksgiving Melody. Hope you're doing well.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your cooking class! How lucky your students are. Mmmmm. I know the first recipe I'd request of you would be your spicy noodles- every time you post them, I swoon! And your teriyake glazed tempeh is awesome. But everything you listed sounds delicious too- you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete