Saturday, July 08, 2006

Is that sushi, or are you happy to see me?

Avocado and Chickpea Sushi Wraps
Ok, so I was a little overzealous with the fillings last night, so I had to eat it more like a burrito. I think I like it this way even more! I used my mock tuna chickpea filling,(there are tons of variations out there, I make it a little different each time depending on what ingredients I have on hand. This one was made from chickpeas, shredded carrots, shredded nori, onion, garlic, vegenaise, dill pickles, dijon mustard, yellow mustard and capers) brown rice with white balsamic vinegar and a pinch of stevia, avocado, cucumber slices and ginger matchsticks. The dipping sauce was just soy sauce, water, tons of wasabi, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Delicious. I am totally addicted and will probably eat these several times a week. My oldest son and husband love them too.



Grilled Veggie and Corn Salad with Edename

This was inspired by a picture on Stephen Cooks blog. I was sitting here, wondering what to make for dinner when I came accross his pic of the corn salad. I had leftover grilled veggies I needed to use immediately, so I tossed those with some blanched corn, carrots, edename, fresh rosemary, thyme, and chives, and mustard vinaigrette, then topped it off with some grey celtic sea salt and ground chipotle pepper. Delicous. I have some leftovers too. You know, if it was cool outside, I'd toss this with potatoes and some cashew milk for a nice veggie chowder. I'll probably mix this in with some pasta and creamy pesto sauce for a pasta salad later on today. That will be good.

I'm thrilled to report that my oldest son LOVES my new seitan. (post before this) I admit, I lied and told him I made it all out of soyflour and it is kind of like homemade tofu. I haven't cooked it in a dish yet, I just gave him a piece of the teryaki marinated seitan. I know he'll love a grilled teryaki sandwich with it. Woohoo! This makes me very happy.

11 comments:

  1. Your food is pretty!

    Re: sprouts... so how do you rinse them if they're wrapped up so tight? Maybe I'm not doing it right??

    My problem is at three days they're super short and starting to rot, and by five days they're totally rotten.

    What I do is (in a jar) soak the beans overnight, drain, and then rinse/drain twice a day for the next 3-5 days (in a dark cupboard). Is that what you do?

    I've heard the kind at the stores is a special asian variety of mung bean, or something. So it may be pretty well impossible to emulate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a maki burrito? now that's what I call creative fusion cuisine. you go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seitanic Score - Yeah! The teriyaki marinade sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avocado and Chickpea sushi!!! woww.. so ingenious and creativee...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melody, I just read your note about the plug. I just had to have a plug replaced and it cost me $5.00. I just e-mailed wendy at soymilkmaker.com and told her I needed one. She e'd me back and gave me the address to send a check for $5 to, I did with a note about what I needed. It took about 8 days and the new one came in. I didn't need any further info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of the sushi wraps. I've had some sheets of nori lying around, and while I've made sushi in the past, it has a habit of falling apart. Your idea looks pretty straightforward, and delicious of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be addicted to that as well. Great stuff. WOW! And what a stunning salad that is as well, Melody. Your oldest son has great taste... but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree now, does it?! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am drooling over your sushi. I used to LOVE sushi before I became a vegan. I mean LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I wish I could make it tonight but I live out in the country so it'll have to wait until our next trek into town to get the ingredients. All of your food looks really great. I've been browsing around your site for the past couple of weeks. I actually made my own hummus and oatmeal patties (thanks to some insipration I got from your blog and another blog). It was my first very own creation. YAY!!! You're great. Can't wait to try more of your yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super sized sushi! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy to see you! ; )

    It's been a week geesshh.. home again YAY

    Teddy

    ps LOVE the Maki roll

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had sushi & green tea for dinner tonite:)

    ReplyDelete