Monday, June 12, 2006

not living up to my ideals

The quiche is much better today than it was fresh out of the oven, but that's no surprise. I've never had authentic quiche since I I have never liked eggs, so I can't compare it to the "real thing". I will keep working on the recipe until it is something my kids and husband say is delicious. Most vegans would probably love the quiche, but the family is a different story. lol.. they were not impressed.

Lunch for me today was leftover quiche with the tomato sauce and a baby spinach salad.

I created a new recipe that I'm going to try for dinner. It is a version of "BLT" pasta salad. I have some tempeh marinating in dark soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast, lots of black pepper , stevia and dijon mustard. I'm going to bake that up and make the salad out of whole wheat pasta, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, veganaise, red onion, relish, garlic, dijon and broccoli. I think I'll serve some sugar snap peas on the side. If it turns out well, I'll post the recipe. I'm still playing around with the ingredients.

We ordered pizza for dinner last night. I ate it. I hate that I am not as strong as I'd like to be. I seem to give in to cheese about once a week. I guess it's better than I used to be... but it still bothers me. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to let go of my cheese obsession. I really, really believe in being vegan and I can't stand not living my beliefs. bleh. On the bright side, the whole time I was eating it I was mentally talking to myself about the cows and thinking of the puss in the cheese and so on. Last night I had an upset stomach thinking of it. I could feel it just sitting there and it bothered me.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Melody, a vegan diet is a friendly diet.... that includes friendly to yourself (no "beating" yourself up)!! My DH is not vegan, well 80% vegan because he eats what I cook.... but we buy him organic, free range yogurt, eggs , and cheeses. My son is on a rotational diet (allergies) and eats chicken on occassion too best to live well than have analphlatic reactions).

    I often make my own though yogurts, cheeses, and tofu quiches/scrambles and they likes them okay (Bryanna recipes), but DH prefers dairy when I have the extra $$ to by them.

    I have read that 90% of a healthy lifestyle is attitude. You could eat 100% perfect and still die young and diseased because of a poor attitude. Make sure your ideals includes dealing with the times in which you live in a less than perfect world and that your ideals work for you!

    Peace!

    About the muffs... yes the grains can vary, but your hard (vs soft pastry style) wheat kernels cannot work.... unless you try them sprouts so they are softened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Dori said!!!

    Mel, so you don't feel so alone, i will tell you (admit?) that i am about 99 percent vegan... but sometimes i eat food with some dairy in them... i'm of the "do what you can, the best you can, whenever you can, however you can!" belief system.

    Again, what Dori said. She's right on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto dori ~ the world is a better place because of your thoughtful choices. thanks for the tofu tips ~ i'm going to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my Melodious one :) Lovely to see your recepies up for everyone to enjoy. I think your website looks awesome! C still remembers you and your cooking with fondness :)

    Happy 13th b-day to youngest son :) Give the boys a hug from me.
    Miss you!!

    Love,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have problems with cheese too. Not even b/c I like it that much. Just b/c people i'm with are eating it. It's okay to be mostly vegan! Nobody's perfect :)

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks a lot everyone.. it's good to get a reality check sometimes!

    ReplyDelete